Q. How many blind people are there in the UK?
- There are currently around 2 million visually impaired people in the UK. Of these, a significant proportion read Braille, and most others can access an “average” Large Print.
- 67% of visually impaired people have another permanent illness or disability
- 35% of visually impaired people experience some difficulty in hearing normal speech (about 50% of those over 75).
- 56% of visually impaired children have at least one other impairment
- Over half of visually impaired people in the UK live alone
- Blind and partially sighted people who read Braille is estimated by the RNIB to be about 13,000.
Statistics taken from Access-Ability by John Gill, RNIB.